Monday, June 25, 2007

Attack of the Exploding Poop

Last week was my first full week of being at home alone with Jalen. Without either grandma around, I no longer have the luxury of someone holding Jalen whenever he gets fussy or needs to be entertained. But I still need to eat and do the laundry and other chores even when the baby is crying for attention. So I just let him cry it out. At first it was kind of an experiment. I put him down in his crib and see if he'd just cry for a few minutes and fall asleep. No such luck, he cried for 45 minutes. Sure, he'd take a break here and there to catch his breath but when he wants to play and he's not sleepy, he'll keep crying until real tears stream down his face and his face scrunches up into a beet red. Once Jalen showed me who's the boss, I would just let him cry for a few minutes when I shove down some food before attending to him again. He also doesn't nap for very long during the day. Just when I think that I can put him down for a nap and I'd have an hour or so to catch up on chores, he wakes up 15 minutes later screaming for me. As a result, it's hard to get a lot done around the house so I just don't expect to do too much. It's a good thing that I learned how to prioritize tasks from my day job!

Recently, Jalen has also gotten into the habit of having one giant poop a day. When he was younger, he'd have 5 or 6 small poops a day. The doctor says that the frequency of poops is expected to decrease but she didn't tell me that the poops that he does have get so big that they cannot be contained by any diapers. The poop shoots up his back and soils his clothes and mine. So whenever that happens, I have to change all of his clothes and hand wash the poop off them. This is one of those things that I'm definitely going to bring up when he's old enough to understand what his mother goes through for him. I'll make sure to get my payback one day...

Jalen's daddy is playing with his chubby cheeks.


Jalen is happily asleep in the Moby Wrap.

We showed off Jalen to Rick's ex-coworkers from Boeing last Friday. Here's Joy getting her baby fix by kissing Jalen's foot.

Trenton, Katelyn and Jalen had a play date today. It was fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're not already using "Huggies" diapers, you may want to give them a try, in hopes it can contain the poop. I found them to be the best, but that was 17+ years ago :0).

Debi V.