Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Jalen is One Month Old!

This past week has been quite hectic. My mom went back to Vancouver so last Monday was my first day alone with baby. It was a bit rough because Jalen seemed to fuss and cry whenever I tried to eat or get some chores done. Rick was scheduled to go out of town for work on Tuesday so on Monday night, we packed up and moved to Rick's parents' house. We weren't sure how long Rick was going to be gone for so we packed up for the whole week. He flew out on Tuesday night to New York City then made his way to Albuquerque, LA, back to Seattle then back to LA again. He didn't get back to Seattle until the following Monday morning. While he was gone, Rick's parents were really helpful with Jalen. Rick's mom stayed up late to feed Jalen so I could get a little more sleep and during the day she held him and lulled him to sleep so I could get a break. Rick's dad made us lunch and dinner so I didn't have to worry about cooking or cleaning. Just in the last week, Jalen started spitting up a lot after each feeding. He would spit up 3 or 4 times huge mouthfuls of milk. Even if we burped him or held him upright he would still spit up. I tried burping him in all different positions and holding him upright for half an hour after each feeding but he would still spit up big amounts of food. I called the nurse and she assured me that spitting up is normal and as long as he's gaining weight it's not a big problem. I was still worried that maybe he wasn't getting enough food or he was in a lot of discomfort from the spit up. We took him to the pediatrician for his 1-month check yesterday and found out that he is 11lbs 8oz! That means that he has gained almost 4lbs in a month. The doctor wasn't concerned about the spit up because of his healthy weight gain. She thinks that I might be over-feeding him so he is throwing up extra food. I'm going to try to feed him less at each feeding. Considering that he is in the 90th percentile for weight it might be a good idea to put him on a diet!

Jalen at 1 month old. Weight: 11lb 8.5oz (90%), Height: 21.5 in (50%), Head: 15.3 in (50-75%)

Daddy came home for lunch on Friday to see Jalen on his one month birthday before flying out again for the weekend.

No comments: