Monday, June 4, 2007

Becoming Baby Wise

Rick and I started a new routine last week. I would feed Jalen at around 10pm, then go to bed. Rick would give Jalen a bottle at about 12:30am, which will allow him to sleep until about 3am - 4am. That gives me about 4 - 5 hour of consecutive sleep which I hadn't had since Jalen was born. It has worked out quite well for us. The only down side is that since I have to go to bed at about 11pm and Rick doesn't get home from work until 7pm or 8pm, we have very little time together. Overall Jalen has been eating and sleeping pretty well. Only occasionally would he have a short feeding only to wake up an hour later hungry again. Some nights after I feed him at 3am, it would take him a while to go back to sleep. So I would have to hold him and rock him while I'm barely awake myself.

Rick's coworker gave us a book called On Becoming Baby Wise. It describes a parenting method that promises to train your child to sleep through the night by the eighth week! That just sounds heavenly and I've been trying to squeeze in time to read the book whenever I can. The method calls for the baby to be on a 3-hour to 4 hour feeding schedule. Right now, Jalen eats about every 2.5 hours so I'm going to start to train him to go a bit longer between feedings. Supposedly, the baby will eventually stop waking up for the middle of the night feeding by following this schedule. It sounds really good so I guess it's worth a shot!

Jalen and cousin Gracie

Jalen and Tyler (a.ka. T.Vo). Tyler is about one month older than Jalen. He's already 11lbs!

Jalen and Trenton. Trenton is about 2 weeks older than Jalen. He is exactly 1 month old here.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Hi, guys!
Congras! I just received the baby's pic yesterday, he's so cute. This web site I got from TONG MING. I'm so impressive when I read ur diary! good job