Tuesday, June 29, 2010

First week back at work

The first week back at work was full of up and downs. Things at work changed around a lot-- my team almost doubled and I have a new boss. But I was surprised how good it felt to be there. I'm really thankful for what a great job I have and I felt really appreciated by the way my team welcomed me back.

At home, things were a bit challenging. Our new part time nanny started on Monday. I was quite worried about how Max would do because he'd been having a tough time with the bottle. Little did I know, he took the bottle just fine. But he was fussy and didn't nap well. The nanny was reluctant to let him cry so she ended up holding him all day. Not only he wanted to be held by her, he would only settle down if she moved and walk around. When I got home, the first thing the nanny told me was that Max is one difficult baby. I was completely distraught. I had such a hard time arranging for Max's child care so the last thing I wanted was for the nanny to quit on me. I tried to tell her and myself that it's because Max is unfamiliar with her. I spent about an hour that night on the phone with my parents asking for advice.

So for the rest of the week, I was so anxious when I got home everyday because I was worried about finding out how Max did. On Wednesday, after another fussy day without good naps, the nanny said that if this Max keeps this up she doesn't think she could continue. That made me beyond stressed and helpless.

Then on Thursday, I came home and the nanny told me Max was very good. He took 3 naps and wasn't fussy. I was so relieved I nearly broke down and thanked Buddha, Baby Jesus and Allah! On Friday the nanny went on her 1.5 week vacation so grandma and Auntie Betsy took care of Max. Max did great again and I hope he will be able to have an easy time away from me from now on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jess, what a story! Sorry to hear you had to go through all that. Sounds like Max figured everything out in the end and decided to cooperate for his hardworking Mommy!